Monday, May 26, 2014

My Dad



That is a picture of my dad and me. I think this photo shows on each page of my blog?
2746 Glasgow Street,
Pittsburgh, Pa., (1950?)

Here is an article I wrote about my dad, and how he introduced me to Charles Dickens.

This is one of my few pictures of him. I was not allowed to see or visit him. In this picture, I am about two years old. I don't know if I have the original anymore? I hope so.

I only had a few interactions with him in my life, after this picture was taken. This isn't even a scan. It's just a photograph of the photo. I hope to find the original someday, and scan it properly.





The last time I saw him was in 1982, when I visited him at his apartment in Queens, with my daughter, Debbie, and my son, Liam, one and three,  respectively.

There was an extraordinarily beautiful little garden in the courtyard to my dad's apartment. I kept admiring it. It seemed to be the work of an expert. It was rare and uniquely artistic.

One of my dad's neighbors told me that he had planted that garden. My dad never even told me that.

Small homeless rooftop garden.
I hope the owner does not find it.
I was never allowed to plant anything, because it would mess up the green lawn, that my stepdad worked so hard to achieve.

Perhaps I've had a sort of genetic predisposition for gardening? These plants (Photo on right? I hope. Unless it moved around?) have made me so happy. I just hope the homeowner either doesn't find them, or doesn't mind?

I hope that someday I can plant some flowers on his grave, on Memorial Day. Because he served in the Pacific during World War II.

The funeral director told me my dad was buried in one of the V.A. cemeteries in New York, but I cannot find his name on the V.A. website.

Not yet, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.