Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day Mass at the Cemetery




Memorial Day, 2014
I'm so happy that our bishop celebrates Mass at the Catholic cemetery each Memorial Day.

Memorial Day is not a Holy Day of Obligation. It's just a regular weekday Mass that the bishop celebrates at the cemetery on this secular holiday.

The homily was about the Spirit of Truth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Gospel reading was from John, 15 and 16:

Jesus said to his disciples:
“When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father,
Memorial Day, May 26, 2014
the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father,
he will testify to me.
And you also testify,
because you have been with me from the beginning.

“I have told you this so that you may not fall away.
They will expel you from the synagogues;
in fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you
will think he is offering worship to God.
They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me.
I have told you this so that when their hour comes
you may remember that I told you.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cookies, Cake and Coffee -- All gone!

After Mass, I went looking for a ladies' room I could use. (I totally forgot about the restrooms in the chapel, right in the cemetery. DOH!) I figured I could also get a bus a few blocks away, to find a cool building, in order to get out of the heat.


There was an Einstein Brothers Bagels shop a few blocks away from the cemetery. I counted my change to make sure I had enough $$ to buy something. I never use the ladies' room in any restaurant without buying something, if I can help it. Sometimes I can't help it, but that's very rare.





I had only $1.60, but figured that would be enough for something, just to show my gratitude for the ladies' room. The counter person said I could only afford a bagel for $1.25, but no toppings. I asked about butter. (Sometimes it's free.) She said no, not even butter. That would put the total up to $1.75 or something.

So, I ate the bagel and then got my bus, but, you know, I really dislike the stingy attitude of Einstein Brothers Bagels.

I have worked in the food industry myself, and I sometimes gave little things away, like perhaps a pat of butter, or a little bit of cream cheese.

Especially for an older person, which I am.

Especially on a holiday, which it was (and is, as I write this.)

Especially when there is only one customer in the whole shop, which there was. I was that one and only customer.

Or, if I wanted to give a customer something a little bigger, I would just pay for it myself, out of my pocket. Okay, I never made a lot of $$ waitressing.

There's a locally owned bagel shop a few blocks away from this particular Einstein shop. I highly recommend you go there. In fact, that locally owned shop is the very REASON that Einstein opened on this street --- to take business away from the locally owned shop.

I won't be returning to any Einstein Bagels shops, if I can possibly help it. I won't be telling anyone to buy bagels there, either. Their prices are outstandingly outrageous, for one!

Of course, nobody is obligated to give me a free schmear for my bagel, but it would have cost a whopping ¢15 to be nice to an old lady. (Nobody wants to eat a dry, hard bagel, especially older folks.)

And, then I may not have posted this link to the locally owned bagel shop down the road, whose prices are AWESOME, whose food is much better than Einstein's, and whose counter folks are incredibly nice, kind and courteous. (They usually gave out a freebie here and there on any day, just to be nice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.