Sunday, February 14, 2016

Water-colored photo of the Home of the Good Shepherd, from the 1920's or 1930's.

It did not look like this in my lifetime. For one thing, this photo is hand-painted. Perhaps some younger folks don't even remember or know about those days before color photography?

But, it's possible the bricks really were red back then.

Because everything in Pittsburgh turned black due to the steel mills.

The trolley tracks were still there, so this was before the 6A Troy Hill bus started up.

I'm not sure, but I think the trolley had also been 6A Troy Hill? 

Or maybe it was just "6A" and they added the "Troy Hill" part after the trolley quit and there was only bus service.

Does anyone remember?


I write a little about the Home of the Good shepherd, in a previous post. 

My home was less than a block away from "Good Shepherd". I passed it each day on my way to school.

Joe Raimondi's greengrocer was also directly across from Good Shepherd.

We called it the "fruit store," of course. There were other Italian fruit stores down on East Ohio Street, but Raimondi's was the only one really close.


http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/60623/media/3cdcca12-c375-4908-b175-a0a7b5d9c85d.jpg?client=Boards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.